This morning started out smooth. My staff and I saw three patients, sedated them and removed their wisdom teeth without problems. I took just over twenty minutes per case...not a bad start for a Monday morning.
Just about the time I thought the morning surgeries were going to go off without a hitch our 11 o'clock patient arrived. He is a very nice gentleman with some pretty impressive career credentials. He was in my office for a single tooth extraction. I was thinking to myself "hey, we have been cruising along all morning, one tooth should be pretty straightforward"...famous last words...
This is where I got the title for this post.
About the time you get to feeling pretty good about your skills in this profession something comes along that humbles you. Today was one of those days.
It took me the better part of an hour to remove a single tooth. Moreover, this was the only patient of the morning that was not sedated! All in all, my patient did very well but I was hoping this particular surgery was going to go a bit more smoothly.
This brings me to the point of this post. Anyone that is considering dentistry should be sure they are up to the challenge. They should be ready for the humbling events that will occur just about the time it appears you have dentistry "all figured out..."
If you or someone you know is pursuing a career in dentistry you can find more information about applying to dental school at www.go2dentalschool.com