Saturday, February 23, 2008

Marietta and the Marines

I am sitting in my hotel room in Georgia as I write this post. My day was spent in a planning conference for an exercise being put together by the Marines. I am acting as a representative for the dental component of the exercise and will be serving as the dental officer in charge (OIC) for the evolution.

One thing I have learned in the planning process. Planning is imperative to any worthy activity!

For instance, these guys (Marines) think of everything. The thought and manhours that go into planning an exercise is amazing. The mission is the focal point but everything that goes into supporting the mission cannot be overlooked. You may have heard the phrase "bullets, beans and bandages..." This is a phrase that refers to all of the things that support a successful mission.


Oral surgery is no different; its just on a much smaller scale. Take for instance the implant case that I performed yesterday. I placed two implants for a patient that will replace two of her front teeth that have been missing for months. The surgery went very well and I think it can be attributed to good planning.

To begin with, on every implant case x-rays are made to ensure there is enough bone to support an implant. Stone models are also made. These models are used to fabricate a surgical guide. This guide is used to place the implants in the exact location based on precise measurements taken from the models.

With all of this information the implant case is planned. The case is performed on the models (in my dental lab) before I ever touch the patient. This process allows me to evaluate what to expect when the actual surgery takes place and adjust the procedure as needed.

I will post this patient's xray as soon as it is available so you can see the results.

Well, time to hit the rack...more planning with the Marines early tomorrow.


Regards,

Dr. K